Monday, March 01, 2010

Well we made it home.....in one piece



What a vacation!!! If anyone has seen my status's on FB you'll have the short of the story but this is the longer version -

Hannah was great the first few days were were there - Sun, Mon, Tues were fantastic, we swam, played, ran around, explored, etc it was wonderful. Then on Wednesday she started throwing up bad. Chris had gone to a bar in town to watch the hockey game so he wasn't in the room to witness any of this. I had to try everything I could to control the vomiting. It was really scary the amount she was throwing up but finally she was able to get some sleep. The next day she was fine, she wasn't eating as much but she never eats as much when she's away from home. Then she was very sleeping and blah feeling. We took her back to the room where she slept all day long. I figured she was just tired from not sleeping the night before. Fast forward, the next morning she woke up with no energy, weak, not talking except for saying “Drink”, she definitely wasn’t herself. We rushed her down to the clinic in the complex and they say she had to be admitted to the hospital because she was so dehydrated. They suspect she ingested pool water which was contaminated. She spent 24hrs in the hospital hooked up to IV, blood taken from her for testing, stool samples, and urine samples all came back negative for anything like parasites, or bacteria. She was released without medication. Totally back to normal on Thursday night enjoying her time at the resort.

We spent the night at the show watching entertainment, went to bed early because we wanted to spend the next day and last day at the beach and doing a bit of shopping.

Fast forward after a great day of shopping and beach lounging - about 4 hours before the bus was coming to pick us up to bring us to the airport, I’m sick, major sick - vomiting and diarrhea BAD! I figured it would just pass but nope, when we tried to check in the lady at the desk asked me if I wanted to see the doctor, I asked what he’d be able to do and she told me he could give me something to stop the vomiting and diarrhea - OK I’m in, anything to stop this and get me home alive was good to me. I went , he noticed how bad I actually was hooked me to IV because I was dehydrated, gave me medication to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. It only stopped the diarrhea, I was still vomiting A LOT! The doctor kept reassuring me we’d be on the flight home the night - we would be rushed to the plane 10 minutes before it left.

Chris and I just got home this morning at 5am after spending the previous 24hrs in the hospital. I'm not going to go into major detail because it'll take me forever to tell all the details but needless to say, we missed out flight - which Hannah was on! My sister and Mother In Law look Hannah from the doctors office because they figured she'd be happier with them. 3 minutes before the flight left Chris (freaking out by this time) ran, stopped the plane from pulling out and told my sister and MIL that Hannah was going home with them. I was rushed to the hospital in the ambulance where I was admitted for 24hrs. Lucky for us the flight we were able to get on today was delayed 3 hours otherwise we would have been stuck in the Dominican until Tuesday!

Needless to say, I’m SO happy to be home! Safe and sound and with Hannah! It was so scary just letting her go, thank god my sister and brother in law are as amazing as they are! They were able to handle their daughter, my daughter all the luggage, going through customs with 4 different last names, etc. They were saviours! What an experience!
I'll be back to post pictures and stuff later - I should be sleeping considering all the sleep I lost during the last few days but for some reason I just toss and turn so when I get a bit more time I'll post some videos and pictures!

Thanks for reading! :)

4 comments:

  1. So happy that you are all back here safe and sound. I'm also glad that you did get to enjoy some of the holiday. Looking at the pics from both you and Krystal it sure looks like you all had some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! So when is your next trip! lol glad to hear you are getting better!! --Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nightmare! You must've been terrified to put Hannah on a plane without you! I'm glad it's all behind you now and hopefully you can look back on your vacay and only remember the good parts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it sucked but the part where we all were feeling well - we LOVED it and had a great time! It was a great resort and the people we wonderful! We had a lot of fun and Hannah seemed to really enjoy herself. Luckily she's so young she doesn't really understand that a hospital stay isn't usually included on family vacations! I'll be posting pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete